Monday, November 24, 2008

And so this is Christmas


As a Jew, I have no business commenting on Christmas. OR, I may just be the perfect, coolly-objective observer. Growing up in a Midwestern suburb, my sister and I used to count houses with Christmas decorations as they popped up in our neighborhood. The more tacky and over-the-top (think: Santa driving a full team of reindeer over a light-strewn Nativity scene), the more we ooh'd and ahh'd.

Since then, that starry-eyed "Hannukan" (as one neighbor called Jews in all seriousness) has evolved into a WASPy Anglophile who likes understated class in her Christmas decor, thankyouverymuch. Like this Paris doorway pictured on the blog Paris Parfait. The white ribons are so pretty and sophisticated, especially bundled around the branches. Love the wicker pots, too. Nothing except the wreaths really says "Christmas." Which means I could avoid feeling any Jewish guilt if I try this at home.

No comments: